Tuesday 21 April 2009

Getting Behind

I'm trying to defeat procrastination. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by my to-do list but yet wary of going back to the bad old days of perfectionism. I used to be someone who had a clean and tidy house, who did all the chores and all my work and kept up with my correspondence. I also used to be tired, stressed and possessed of the crazy belief that if I didn't keep up appearances everyone would hate me.

These days my self-esteem is healthier and I prioritise writing and relaxing over cleaning. Yet I still have a problem with procrastination but whereas before I would avoid writing with chores, now I do it with jigsaws and DVDs. And I have a list of chores that need doing.

The plan is simple - one day at a time, a little bit of everything a day. So, a little time spent job-hunting and dealing with the benefits system, a little time spent writing, a little time spent on housework (regular and springcleaning), and a little time for me. Wish me luck.

Yesterday was a good day - I worked on my novel a little and wrote posts for this blog; ran some benefits related errands; picked up my dead PC; did a comparison shop between Tesco and Asda (Tesco won); did laundry, cleaned the bathroom and defrosted the freezer section of my fridge. I also managed to find time to eat properly (home cooked food not junk), chat to some friends, and spend the evening watching DVDs and doing a jigsaw. Let's hope today is as satisfying.

No comments: