Friday 15 May 2009

Hub, Issue 82

Once upon a time, I thought I was catching up but this is real life and there's no happily ever after. Which sounds more depressing than I mean. There are endings and many of them are happy and then the story keeps on going. Much like my quest to catch up on my reading. Oh happy fool.

Issue 82 of Hub contains the story Under A Bridge by Paul Fairbairn. It's okay. It's a modern fairy tale and that's quite nice to see. I like the idea but the telling of it lacks depth. Exposition is nicely weaved in with dialogue and the writing is competent. It took me a moment to put my finger on what was missing - and in this case, it is that something is missing rather than that something is wrong. There's no sensation. A very physical scene is described very cerebrally. There's no smell or sound or texture and little colour.

No comments: