Saturday 31 December 2011

100 Books in 2011 challenge: Reflections

I read 86 books in 2011. Not quite the 100 I was aiming for, but not an insignificant number.

Out of those books 50 were by male authors and 36 by female authors. That's a slightly more even split than I expected. I tend to read types of fiction dominated by male authors and while I have thought that I should make a point of seeking out female authors in these genres, I haven't yet done so. Next year I plan to prioritise female writers.

Genres:
Sci-fi - 7
Fantasy - 12
Horror - 5
Romance - 7
Literary - 5
Classic - 9
Historical - 2
Thriller - 6

I read 32 non-fiction books, which is more than I thought, and makes me feel like I should break that down a bit.

Self-help/Psychology - 5
Philosophy - 1
History - 5
Current affairs/Politics - 4
Feminist thought - 5
Comedy - 3
Auto-biography - 2
Writing craft - 4
Paganism - 1
Science - 2

I noticed at points during the year that I was actively choosing to read books I perceived to be short and easy in order to achieve the goal of 100 books in a year. Whereas, if I hadn't been trying to reach that goal I might have gone for a more challenging, edifying, (and for me, more satisfying) reading experience. It's a bit like dieting, in that it drives bad behaviour. Books are chosen for being low-calorie (short/easy) rather than healthy (quality) and so the choices you make are not the ones that are best for you but the ones that will satisfy an arbitrary number.

On reflection, I have quite enjoyed doing the 100 Books in 2011 challenge but I won't be doing a reading challenge again next year. I still have 166 books on book mountain and I think I can make more space by focussing on reading the really big ones. My reading intentions for next year are to read more female authors and get through the large hardcovers on book mountain. I did like keeping a list of everything I've read though, so I think I will maintain that.

Finally, my favourite books of the year. In non-fiction, my favourite was Delusions of Gender by Cordelia Fine, with an honourable mention for The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. In fiction, it's very close but I think Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks was the best novel I read all year. There are a few others that were very close: All the Windwracked Stars by Elizabeth Bear; Gridlinked by Neal Asher, The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie and A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin.

And that's the end of 2011. Happy New Year everyone!

No comments: