Tuesday 1 March 2011

12 Dystopian Novels

Book meme! This list of twelve dystopian novels we all should have read comes from the Huffington Post.

1. We by Yevgeny Zamayatin. I've never even heard of this, much less read it.
2. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. One of my favourite books; I've read it several times.
3. The Drowned World by J. G. Ballard. Haven't read this one, but I think I'd like to.
4. Anthem by Ayn Rand. I've never read any Ayn Rand because I think the politics might annoy me a lot, but I suppose I should.
5. 1984 by George Orwell. I read this at school and I loved it.
6. Blindness by Jose Saramago. I haven't read it but it really appeals to me. This one's going on the wish list.
7. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Another one I've read and loved.
8. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I've always meant to read this and never quite got around to it. I should really.
9. The Faber Book of Utopias, ed. John Carey. Nope, not read this either.
10. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I read this a few years ago. It was alright, quite interesting ideas, but the style wasn't my cup of tea.
11. The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I think I'd quite like to read this but haven't yet.
12. World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. Zombies aren't my thing, although this sounds quite interesting. If it wasn't about zombies.

Four out of twelve for me then. How many have you read and did  you enjoy them?

No comments: