Saturday 14 May 2011

A-Z blog challenge: D is for Distraction

Oh, there's just so much of it! The things I could spend my time doing:

Watching tv
Playing video games
Messing about on the internet
Hanging out with friends
Getting a master's degree
Playing with my cats
Dancing
Reading non-writing related blogs and news
Watching butterflies
LOLcats


And of course there are the things I think I should be doing:

Cleaning
Decorating
Hanging out with friends
Keeping up with my correspondence
Exercising

But instead I'm writing. At least in theory. I don't have a lot of spare time at the moment so everything that I could do I have to think 'will this take time away from my writing?' The answer is almost always yes because I can't reduce the hours I work (which is not all that many to be fair) or reduce my commuting time, so there's nowhere else for the time to come from. If the answer is yes, then 'is this something I'm willing to give up writing time for?' If I'm honest, in the past, I often have given up writing time - because I'm tired, or because it's hard, or because I didn't believe in myself enough, or because I didn't feel I could say no to friends or family or other obligations. But I've reached a stage in my writing where the answer is going to be no much more often.

Oh look, a butterfly. Being chased by a lolcat. What was I doing again?


1 comment:

Martin Willoughby said...

I'm so distracted I can't even leave a comment.