Sunday 7 August 2011

A-Z blogging challenge: J is for Job


Have to have a job to pay the bills, but it's far away and I spend three hours a day commuting. J is for Job in the sense that I don't get paid for writing and I like to have nice stuff.

But there's also an element in which having a job meets some emotional needs that writing doesn't. A couple of years ago I gave up my day job to focus on writing for a little while. It was amazing and fulfilling and as soon as I get the chance, I'll do it again. However, when I went back to work I realised there had been something I'd missed. A job offers the opportunity to see the results of your labours quickly; it offers tangible results clearly linked to specific actions. The pay-off on a writing project takes a lot longer and sometimes it can be easy to lose sight of your gains.

No comments: