Saturday 10 January 2009

Babylon, Statuephilia and the Muse of History

I went to the British Museum for their Babylon exhibition this week. It was wonderful and very inspiring.

The Long Way Home is a fantasy novel I wrote a couple of years ago, still languishing in first draft status, and it has a middle eastern themed world. The pictures and model of the Processional Way and Ishtar Gate gave me some good ideas for imagining my protagonist's home city. When I get back to it, after I've finished Sacrifice...




Statuephilia is a collection of contemporary sculpture inspired by the exhibits at the BM. This is my favourite, Dark Stuff by Sue Webster and Tim Noble. It's really disturbing.




Then I had afternoon tea in the Great Court restaurant and worked out the plot for Alexandria. Apparently high blood glucose is beneficial to writing. I do so enjoy being told what I want to hear.

No comments: